7 Ways Cannabis Can Benefit Your Fitness Routine
Cannabis is a natural herb found dominantly in Central Asia, especially in Afghanistan. Cannabis is a flowering plant. There are three species of Cannabis, i.e. cannabis sativa, cannabis indica and cannabis ruderalis. Cannabis sativa and cannabis indica are most popular for its medicinal purposes. Medicinal marijuana can be found from both cannabis sativa strains, as well as cannabis indica strains like Tuna Kush. Cannabis products are manufactured into forms like dried flower buds, resin extracts or edibles/sublingual tinctures.
Dried flowers buds are known generally as marijuana. Resins from the plant that contain cannabinoids and are extracted through different processes, and are commonly known as hashish (or hash), hash oil and many, many other names like wax, shatter, isolate, sauce and so many more.
Marijuana contains more than 100 different chemical constituents. Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) are the well known and main constituents used in cannabis based medicines. Several countries of the world have recognized medical marijuana for different purposes. However, the research is going on because cannabis has a potential for abuse too.
Cannabis sativa is not completely approved by the FDA for medicinal use, due to limited research and lack of information regarding drug misuse reasons. Despite that, there are several ways medical marijuana (cannabis) is helpful for maintaining routine for fitness. Learn more below!
1) Relieves Depression and Anxiety Active constituents of a specific strain of marijuana--like high CBD strains--bind with the specific receptors in the brain and reduce the anxiety and depression someone may be having. Studies published in 2013 and 2015 state that cannabinoids relieve emotional stress, restlessness and anxiety response by binding with the receptors in the hippocampus (part of the brain responsible for emotional stability) and thus improves mood and increases energy.
According to Samir Haj Dahmane, the use of medical marijuana can stabilize mood and thus relieves anxiety and depression. Researchers of Harvard Medical School in 2010 found that marijuana improves mood and increases happiness and energy to perform daily routine activities of life. One thing should be kept in mind that higher doses of cannabis cause more anxiety and depression. Persons with anxiety and depression have poor sleep, improper eating habits, poor coordination, and concentration so these conditions will be improved.
2) Soothes Muscle Pain, Heals Broken Bones and Boosts Workouts Cannabis products relieve pain and inflammation by modifying certain neural transmissions in the body’s pain pathways. A Canadian study involving adults published in 2010 demonstrates that medical marijuana is helpful in soothing chronic pain.
There is also some evidence that medical marijuana repairs bones and thus it is helpful in the individuals with damaged bones or individuals having deficient calcium level.
Cannabis constituents are analgesic in nature, so they relieve pain, swelling, stiffness, and inflammation. Pain and inflammation are the main barriers to exercise and workout so once pain and inflammation are relieved then workout will be improved.
3) Faster Metabolism and Weight Loss A slow metabolism can result in the deposition of fats and lipids in the body which can lead to obesity, hyperlipidemia and diabetes mellites. Medical marijuana increases the metabolism which is a good indication to deal with bad body shape (obesity), increased cholesterol level (hyperlipidemia) and increased sugar levels in the body (diabetes mellitus). Cannabis users are slimmer and more fit than non-users with unhealthy patterns. Diabetes is the leading factor of cardiovascular diseases like hypertension, heart failure, heart attack (myocardial infarction) etc. Thus, in an indirect way Cannabis is helpful in preventing heart problems.
4) Improves Breathing and Fights Cancer/Carcinogenic Effects According to the American Medical Association, there is an increase in the lung capacity shown in cannabis users who were also using tobacco. Thus, there is possible evidence that medical marijuana reverses the carcinogenic effects of tobacco. Although, more research is required to understand these benefits. But once it will be experimentally proven then it will be a great breakthrough in the health industry.
5) Regulates Seizures A study was done in 2003 by Robert J Delorenzo of Commonwealth University of Virginia, on rats with epileptic seizures. Rats were given medical marijuana and the effects were measured. The study concluded that all rats got rid of seizures within 10 hours. Later on, it was found that the main active ingredient of medical marijuana (Tetrahydrocannabinol) controls the seizures by binding with the brain cells responsible for controlling the excitability and regulating relaxation.
6) Safer Alternative to Drugs and Alcohol Individuals on tranquillizers, psychoactive substances or narcotic substances like alcohol, tobacco, opiates, heroin, cocaine, etc. show promise in ridding themselves of their addictions through cannabis therapy.
7) Improves Women Health and Sexual Life Marijuana improves sexual frustration and erectile dysfunction. It also increases sexual desire. Therefore, it has true potential to be a very popular aphrodisiac medicine, increasing sexual desire.
Marijuana also helps and prevents mood swings, endometriosis, premenstrual syndrome and decreases pain during libido. Marijuana inhibits the cramps in premenstrual syndrome, as referenced in this study demonstrated by Pagano. Imbalance of hormones during menstruation leads to emotional disturbances and mood swings. Medicinal marijuana improves the balance of hormones which leads to psychoactive effects and thus stabilizes mood. With mood swings taken care of, women having a fitness routine can put natural female steroids to good use by working out rigorously.
Studies have found that women with endometriosis are deficient in cannabinoids. Thus, cannabis helps in relieving endometriosis. Additionally, it relieves the pain associated with endometriosis which is the most common symptom, as cannabis has analgesic properties.
There are several other indications of medical marijuana for good health and fitness. Some are enumerated as under.
• Treatment of ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disease) • Treatment of Autism • Helps in serious addictions • Treatment of Glaucoma • Improves lung health and Asthma • Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis • Treatment of Alzheimers disease • Helps people with HIV AIDS • Treatment of Arthritis • Help persons with poor eating habits (anorexia) • Treatment of nausea and headache • Lowers panic attacks • Improvement of skin conditions like eczema • Helps improves certain sexually transmitted disease side effects/symptoms • Help patients with speech problems • Helps to treat OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) • Helps to improve Crohn's disease • Helpful in managing PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disease) • Protects the brain after a stroke • Treatment of Dravet’s syndrome • Eliminates nightmares • Treatment of Parkinson’s disease • Appetite Stimulant • Decreases the side effects of hepatitis treatment and increases the effectiveness of treatment