Let's Heal with CBD
CBD or cannabidiol is one of the key cannabinoids found in cannabis. It is a non-psychoactive component, unlike THC which is associated with a euphoric high. Between marijuana and hemp, the two cannabis sativa plants, the former has higher THC with lower CBD and the latter has higher CBD with lower THC. You can check with suppliers and dispensaries near your home to check the availability of CBD. (If you're in Los Angeles, check out HERB's High CBD menu for a large variety of CBD specific medicine.)
7 Therapeutic Benefits of CBD
CBD has been much in the news because of its many promising therapeutic benefits.
1. Alleviates Epilepsy
Many Americans diagnosed with epilepsy go for medication, electrically stimulating and invasively implanted devices, and brain surgery with minimal or nil benefit. As per a 2017 study published in The New England Journal of Medicine, when cannabidiol oral solution was administered along with normal antiepileptic treatment, monthly seizure frequency came down by 40 percent.
2. Anxiety Relief In a study of 24 people affected by SAD or Social Anxiety Disorder, it was found that those who received CBD showed better results than those who received a placebo. Both were given prior to a public speaking test. It was noticed that the CBD test group had less anxiety, uneasiness with speech and cognitive impairment than their placebo counterparts. CBD has also shown good results in people with PTSD.
CBD was proven to have anti-depressant resembling effect by enhancement of glutamate and serotonergic cortical signaling through a mechanism dependent on the 5HT1A receptor in the mouse model of depression. Serotonin and glutamate are neurotransmitters. Increased serotonin levels and lowered glutamate levels are helpful for depression.
Various kinds of research on CBD benefits pertaining to neuro-protection and treatment of neurological diseases revealed the following:
- When given to mice with a genetic inclination towards Alzheimer’s disease, it was found to assist with averting cognitive decline
- Test tube and animal studies point to decreased inflammation and prevention of Alzheimer’s associated neurodegeneration
- Parkinson’s disease sufferers could benefit from improved sleep quality and quality of life
5. Pain Relief
Research into the effect of CBD injections on rats found decreased pain response when surgical incision was done. Yet another study on rats discovered reduced inflammation and sciatic nerve pain with oral CBD treatment.
There has been a lot of research done on cannabis like on cannabis seeds, on which you should get more information.
Research has also found that CBD, when used in combination with THC, helps alleviate arthritis and multiple sclerosis- associated pain.
In a 2012 study, CBD was found to considerably restrict chronic inflammatory and neuropathic pain. It did so without creating tolerance or dependency. More recently, it was determined that CBD could assist with decreasing chronic pain by affecting endocannabinoid receptor activity thereby bringing down inflammation and interacting with neurotransmitters.
The endocannabinoid system in our human body is associated with regulating appetite, immune system response, pain, sleep and other functions.
The future of cancer treatment is bright as far as CBD goes. Developments in this area include:
- A 2006 study was the first ever to determine that CBD selectively and powerfully hindered the growth of various lines of breast tumor cells and was less powerful in non-cancer cells.
- CBD could also reduce nausea and vomiting arising from chemotherapy, two common side effects of the treatment.
In closing, it is worth mentioning, that many of the studies pertaining to CBD were done on animal models. More extensive research remains to be done on humans. However, that does not make the medical potential for CBD any less bright. Do consult after choosing from competent Florida marijuana doctors before opting for CBD from medical marijuana. You would also probably require a medical marijuana license for it, in some states.
If you are in California, visit Hello MD for cannabis consultations, medical recommendations and further information.